You do not have to accept cookies and consent can be withdrawn at any time (see How to Control Cookies, below). You can change your browser settings to refuse or restrict cookies, and you may delete them after they have been placed on your device at any time. If you do not accept or delete our cookies, some areas of the Site that you access may take more time to work, or may not function properly.
What are cookies:
Cookies are small amounts of information that we may store on your local computer or mobile device when you visit the Site. When you visit the Site again, the cookies allow us to recognize your browser. Cookies may store your preferences and other information but cannot read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Read more about what cookies are from Forrester.
Cookies set by a website owner (in this case, ASAE) are called “first party cookies”. Cookies set by parties other than the website owner are called “third party cookies”. Third party cookies enable us to provide third party features or functionality through the Site (i.e. advertising, social media functions and analytics).
How to control cookies:
You can delete cookies on your computer at any time by checking the delete cookies option in your browser of choice. Please note that after you delete your cookies, you may be asked to login again on many websites where you may have stored a login cookie. And, on the ASAECenter.org site, you may be prompted to take the ForeSee survey and re-consent to our cookie usage to continue your visit.
Please follow the links below to helpful information for the most popular browsers:
In addition, you can exercise advertising cookie choices by visiting:
- http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/; or
The information that we collect with cookies allows us to statistically analyze usage of the Site, and to improve and customize our content and other offerings. However, we only disclose information collected with cookies to third parties on an aggregated basis without the use of any information that personally identifies you.
We’ve listed specific cookies you’ll receive on the ASAEFoundation.org site by category to give you details about the cookies we’re using and their role in your site usage experience.
Strictly Necessary Cookies:
These are cookies that are required for the operation of the Site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our websites, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing. These cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the Site and therefore cannot be refused.
Specific strictly necessary cookies include:
- ASP.NET_SessionId: Session cookie from Microsoft .Net that tracks an active session. The cookie is deleted at the end of the session.
- __cfduid: This cookie identifies computers behind a shared IP address and applies security settings. This helps us sperate trusted machines from infected machines. This cookie is set by Cloudflare, our web performance and security management platform.
- JSESSIONID: Tracks information about your visit for the site’s application and performance monitoring platform, New Relic, in an effort to provide a more stable and reliable experience.
Analytics and Performance Cookies:
ASAEFoundation.org uses tracking cookies through Google Analytics, ForeSee, Add This. These cookies are designed to deliver information that is of most interest to you during your visit and beyond.
The Google Analytics cookie allows us to track, in aggregate, but in no personally identifiable way and without using personal data, traffic patterns on the site so we can optimize our web development and content efforts to better meet your needs. ForeSee cookies also collect no personally identifiable information and are designed to help us to ensure that you only get the survey on a periodic basis. In the ForeSee survey you may provide personal data, but as part of ASAE’s efforts to protect your privacy and provide you with the highest control over your data you can request deletion or a copy of that information at any time.
Types of data that both ForeSee and Google Analytics track includes (but is not limited to):
- Pages visited and number of pages visited per session
- Device type, operating system, and browser type and version
- Referring website or URL
- Has survey sampling criteria been met (ForeSee only)
- Site search keywords (Google Analytics only)
Specific tracking cookies include:
- SC_ANALYTICS_GLOBAL_COOKIE: This cookie is part of ASAE’s CMS (Sitecore) analytics functionality. It tracks multiple site visits for a user over time, and that data can be used to make improvements to the site.
- _ga: Google Analytics cookie randomly generated value to track unique visitors to the site. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
- _gid: Google Analytics cookie used to distinguish users for google analytics tracking.
- _gat: This Google Analytics cookie is used to throttle request rate (GA).The impact is that that the site doesn’t have to send as much data improving the overall experience.
- _gali: This Google Analytics cookie is used to support the enhanced link attribution plugin for google analytics, which allows us to distinguish between links to the same URL by appending a unique ID.
- _4c_: The information collected in the ForeSee cookies is used in aggregate to help provide the best user experience
- _unam: Tracks page usage data unless you have separately signed up with social sharing platform, Share This, which is governed by their terms and privacy.
- _stid: ShareThis tracking data cookie.
These cookies are used to make the advertising displayed on the Sites more relevant to you. These cookies prevent ads reappearing and ensure that ads are properly displayed. Certain third party cookies may track users over different websites are will provide ads relevant to your interests.
Specific advertising cookies include:
- _dc_gtm: This cookie is used to help identify the visitors by either age, gender, or interests by DoubleClick - Google Tag Manager.
Our retargeting cookie allows for you to receive advertisements for ASAE’s programs, products, and services as you visit other websites such as CNN or The Washington Post.
Social Media Cookies:
These cookies allow us to integrate social media functions into the Site and may also be used for advertising purposes.
Specific social media cookies include:
- Datr, fr, lu: These cookies are provided by Facebook and collects data on the interests of users via widgets such as the 'Like' button. This is used to serve targeted advertising to its users when logged into its services.
As well as cookies, we use other technologies to recognize and track visitors to the Site. A web beacon (also known as a “tracking pixel” or “clear GIF”) is a clear graphic image (typically a one-pixel tag) that is delivered through a web browser or HTML e-mail, typically in conjunction with a cookie.
Web beacons allows us, for example, to monitor how users move from one page within our websites to another, to track access to our communications, to understand whether users have come to our websites from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, to measure how ads have been viewed and to improve site performance.
Do Not Track Signals:
We do not respond to web browser “do not track” signals. As such, your navigation of our Site may be tracked as part of the gathering of quantitative user information described above. If you arrive at our Site by way of a link from a third party site that does respond to “do not track” requests, the recognition of any “do not track” request you have initiated will end as soon as you reach our Site.
Should you have any question about how this website is using cookies that is not addressed above, please contact Amy Hissrich, VP of Web Strategies and Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-326-9532.