Association Content Strategies for a Changing World
Meaningful and useful content is the core of the association value proposition, but managing content strategically and effectively is a universal challenge. The ASAE Foundation sought to understand how association executives are approaching content strategy and management to provide data and examples that will advance content efforts across the association community.
The ASAE Foundation collaborated with researchers from The Content Company, Distilled Logic, and Tanzen to examine how association leaders navigate the shifting landscape of content strategy. The researchers identified different paths associations take to develop and implement content strategies, including common tactics associations use to advance their business goals.
The research was conducted in multiple phases, including:
- an environmental scan
- a survey of content strategy practices in associations
- a second survey that explored how leaders assigned value to these practices
- interviews with association professionals who represent a range of approaches to content strategy.
Association Content Strategies for a Changing World, the report of complete research findings, is now available.
Highlights from the research findings:
- Effective content strategy is not limited to associations of any type, size, or scope. Small associations are able meet members’ content needs as effectively as large associations.
- The management of a holistic, organization-wide content strategy is not yet common among associations. However, association professionals are increasingly using content strategy tactics and recognize the need for a more strategic approach.
- Primary challenges to content strategy are territoriality among departments, lack of alignment across the organization, and the inability to collect and apply data effectively.
additional publications and resources
Excerpt from Association Content Strategies for a Changing World